Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Arutela Roman Camp

Calimanesti, judetul Valcea

Description

The Roman camp Arutela is a historical monument, located in the town Pausa, point "Bivolari Poiana", beside the city Calimanesti.
It dates from the Roman Age, the years 137-138 A.C. The Military Museum conducted systematic research campaigns in the years 1967-1970 and 1978.

Camp Arutela ensures circulation on the Olt Valley, to Transylvania and represented along with other camps around Massif Cozia a line of defense to stop attacks from the hilly area of the East. 

In the north part of the camp was "Teofil's peak", on whose plateau was built a half-round tower, with the right side to the east, 300 m height from the point "Poiana Bivolari". This tower, Olt oriented, had the role of monitoring the entrance gate, to the Dacia Superior, in the same time ensures tracking traffic to Camp Traiana (Daesti). Archaeological evidence indicates that, since antiquity, Olt waters destroyed the western side of the camp, inducing the withdrawal of the Roman garrison from here.

The first diggings in point "Poiana Bivolari" were made by the Ministry of Estates, in the years 1888-1889, to capture thermal sulphurous waters. They found metal objects and Roman coins from Hadrian, Septimiu Sever, Iulia Doamna, Caracalla. In the years 1891-1892, Gr. Tocilescu and P. Polonic make partial diggings and the Camp remains known only by the epigraphic material found here.

Between 1897-1902, Arutela Camp is partially destroyed because of the construction of the railway Ramnicu Valcea - Raul Vadului.
In 1967, the Military Museum reopens the reasearch site, opportunity that allowed the complete uncovering of the ruins which were destroyed during the railway construction.

Between 1982-1983, the Camp was rebuilt by the architect Aurel Teodorescu, after the documents drawn by Cr. M. Vladescu, the coordinator of the researchs previously done by the Military Museum. The construction works were performed by C. Panco.  "Porta Praetoria" was reconstituted for the first time, with the two towers which flanks it.

Latest Posts

^ Top