Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Banat Museum

Timisoara, judetul Timis

Phone0256 191339
0256 134965
AddressPiata Huniade, 1
Fax0256 201321
Emailmuzeul.banatului@yahoo.com
Contact personDr. Dan Leopold Ciobotaru

Description

The idea of setting up the Banat Museum came from the “Banat Museum Association?, founded by Sigismund Ormos (1813-1894) in 1872. Banat Museum is currently composed of 3 sections, Department of Archeology and History, Department of natural science and the Art department.

The department of Archeology and History of the Banat Museum shows the evolution of the human living in this area starting with Neolithic: discoveries from Hodoni - Pocioroane, Zorlonetu Mare and, especially, the sanctuary from Parta, which strengthens the role of Banat region between southern and northern prehistoric cultures. The Neolithic sanctuary from Parta is one of the tourist attractions of this department, showing an impressive piece of treasure belonging to the cultures Tisa and Vinca.

The Bronze Age is distinguished through working tools, ornaments, household utensils and pottery from Periam and Pecica, from the Cruceni, Pesac, Anina necropolis. Iron Age, in its states (Hallstatt and La Tene), is well shown by the Dacian settlements Sacosu Mare, Padurea Veche.

The discoveries made at Tibiscum (Jupa) in 1924 display for the tourist objects that are specific to the civil roman camps and settlements which evolved together: various ceramics, statues, weapons and gear, architectural fragments, inscriptions, funeral art pieces, numismatics.

Another touristic site is represented by the workshops beads that marked the history of the greatest roman center in Banat in the II-III centuries. We include numismatics collection that contains Greek, Roman, Dacian and Byzantine pieces and a broad class of ceramic objects, weapons, ornaments covering the era of migrations III-IX century.

Timisoara’s history is well represented by a collection of objects, signs and products guild. Also a large documentation certifies the history of spinners, saddlers, harness makers, carpenters, shoemakers, curriers, fishermen and butchers, chandlers or musical instruments and organs manufacturers. Huniade Castle is found on the Banat fortifications list, fortifications which are reproduced in the museum with various weapons, harness parts, architectural elements, ceramic objects, drawings and cartographic plans.

The worship places of the peoples who occupied Banat regions during the medieval Banat (especially swabs, German colony) are well represented. Also, the modern history of the province remains in the visitor’s mind through many objects which attest the development of the links between the West and East and Danube’s economic importance. The revolution in 1848 and the Union (1 December 1918) remain in the history of Banat through a large portfolio of items.

The department of Natural Sciences is the descendant of the Society of Natural Science in Timisoara (1873-1918) which wanted all those years the development of natural sciences, the determination the natural conditions of Banat. Besides the Museum of Natural Sciences, a library is set, also the first exhibition which present elements of nature through modern methods of exposure through biogroups and dioramas. In this period appear distinguished personalities as Gregory Antipa in Bucharest and D. Lintia in Timisoara.

In 1954, the Museum of Natural Sciences becomes part of Banat Museum and it’s placed in Hundiade Castle, second floor.
Between 1984-1985, the natural sciences department was demolished almost entirely due to political restrictions of that time.
Today, tourists can enjoy permanent exhibits such as "Banat’s flora and fauna", "Human Evolution", "The evolution of living", and "Mineralogy".

With an impressive collection of over 50 000 pieces, the Museum of Natural Sciences is a touristic site that maintains the visitor’s attention through various collections such as those of paleontology, the collection of rocks and minerals, the one of pressed plants (Herbarul), a collection of butterflies (Lepidoptere ), a collection of beetles (Coleoptere), the collection of birds (ornithology).

The Art Department of Banat Museum from Timisoara is placed in the premises of a baroque palace situated in Piata Unirii.
The art department was created in 1879 when there are made the first recordings of art objects and paintings. The main collection of the museum represents a big donation made by the important history and art collector Ormos Zsigmond (1813-1893), one of the founders of the Museum from Timisoara, collection that holds an important part of European painting (Italian, Flemish, Dutch, German, Austrian, Hungarian, Romanian). In time, the art section completed its collections with paintings, especially Romanian, modern and contemporary, decorative art, furniture.

Since 1986, the Art Department works in the east wing of the Palace where it organizes regular temporary exhibitions of collections, in collaboration with other museums, with institutions with the same profile. The art section doesn’t have a permanent exhibition.

Visiting hours: 9 - 17, Monday- closed.

Latest Posts

^ Top