Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

« 7-12 / 2120 »

Probota Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina

Located in Probota, in Suceava County, Probota Monastery was built at the order of Prince of Moldova, Petru Rares. The name of this monastery is of Slavic origin and means "brotherhood". The [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
24 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Wooden Church of Ieud Deal

judetul Maramures, Maramures

Built by the local noble family in the early seventeenth century in Ieud, the old church situated on the hill is a century older than the wooden plain church. The Wooden Church from Ieud Deal represen [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
10 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Ghelinta - the frescoes of St. Ladislau's legend

Covasna, judetul Covasna

Built in Roman style, the old building of the Roman Catholic Church in the village of Ghelinta was enlarged in the fifteenth century, but the frescoes made in the early fourteenth century were kept in [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
3 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Saint John the New Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina

Built to face the multitude of believers coming to pray at the relics of Saint John the New (in Rom. Sfantul Ioan cel Nou), Saint John the New Monastery of Suceava is a monastery of monks, which is de [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Saint Nicholas Wooden Church

judetul Maramures, Maramures

Built in 1643, Saint Nicholas Wooden Church from Budesti represents an eloquent example of a typical church from Maramures. Representative in this sense is the structure of the monastery: with high in [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Calnic Fortress

judetul Alba, Transilvania

The name of the settlement is of Slavic origin, 'kal' or 'Kalinik' (= clay, loamy), being initially taken by the Romanians or the Hungarians, and then by the Sas people. The Sas name of the village is [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
3 x Images
4 x videos
UNESCO

Banat Village Museum

Timisoara, judetul Timis

Phone0256 225588
0256 289991
AddressAleea CFR, 1
Fax0256 289991
Emailoffice@msbtm.ro

Description

In 1928, Ioachim Miloia, then director of the Museum of Banat (1928-1940), considers the idea of creating an open-air ethnographic museum. After the opening of the Ethnographic Museum of Transylvania in Cluj in 1928, Ioachim Miloia proposes to the City Hall that the new ethnographic museum should be built in the courtyard of Huniade Castle.

The new Ethnographic Museum aimed to be a testament of the Romanian traditional folk civilization and of the national minorities of the region through the wooden churches, crosses of great historic and artistic value and the peasant houses.

After many calls to the City Hall, Banat Village Museum receives a building right in 1967 and opens to public on 20th of August, 1971. Until 2000 the museum works as part of the Museum of Banat and becomes after a separate institution subordinated to the Timis County Council. Banat Village Museum is an essential touristic site for the visitors interested in the traditional culture and civilization from the west side of Romania.

Banat Village Museum manages to make a thumbnail of Banat villages by building authentic wood, stone and clay houses made after the local model. Tourists attracted by the Banat culture can find household items used in the past centuries, can admire the architecture of the houses. These, though with 2 or 3 rooms, attract attention with guest rooms, known as "clean stove," big stove" or "good stove”, being the most beautiful furnished and decorated with precious fabrics - towels, rugs, tablecloths once called "masaie".

The architecture of the houses is improved with the open porch (extended along the length of construction) and partial porch. Also, the roof stands out with the beauty of wood decorations and of the traditional geometric patterns. Thus, Banat Village Museum describes with great care the homes covered with hay or shingles, the houses of peasants or of the pottery artisans, the traditional plants used by the peasants mills, “vaiuga”, “oloinite”.

Latest Posts

^ Top