Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Brasov Fortress

Brasov, judetul Brasov

Description

The XII-XV centuries were marked by the numerous Turkish-Tatar invasions in Brasov, which led to the displacement of the majority of the population who was not connected by the fertile land from Bartolomeu. They moved in the territory between Tampa, Schei and Warthe hill.
In this place existed a dense forest, through which passed a small river from the Stones of Solomon (Graft).

Where the river bifurcate, one horn taking the way to Blumana and the other one to Brasovechi, there is an observation tower around which, in 1420 was built the Council Hall building. In that region, monks and nuns come in the same time with the Teutons built there two monasteries: that of St. Lawrence and that of St. Catherine. Unfortunately, the monasteries have been destroyed by the Tatars in 1241. After 1383, the new settlement was fortified only with grooves, waves of land and palisades.

The end of the fourteenth century brought the restoration of the enclosure with stone. Gradually, began the building of walls and bastions, which resulted in recognition of Brasov as "the city of the seven bastions". The walls measured a total of 3000 meters long, being 12 m high and 1.70  to 2.20 m thick. Apart from the bastions arranged every 110 m, in May they were defended by 28 gun powder towers of square base.

Currently only 6 bastions are maintained, 2 on the south side and 4 on the north-western side of the city.
The fortress walls were double and sometimes - on the north-east side in particular - triple, between them being formed grooves and land waves. Within the walls there were situated the tancs (Zwinger), each one under the authority of a guild. With the fifteenth century, under the authority of King Sigismund of Luxembourg, there were built the first fortifications of the Brasov fortress.

Brasov Bastions

Brasov Bastions were built in the fifteenth century by various guilds. The bastions were used in peacetime for storage of goods, and in time of war or attack they became fortresses. Currently only 3 of 8 bastions still work:

• Weavers' Bastion
• Smiths’ Bastion
• Graft Bastion

others are newly renovated:

• Rope makers' Bastion
• Drapers' Bastion
• Skinners' Bastion

or totally abolished:

• Goldsmiths' Bastion (in 1886)
• Strap makers' Bastion (in 1887)

Brasov Gates


Until the XIX century, Brasov fortress had 3 gates:
• Catherine Gate toward Schei
• Custom Gate (of the Monastery)
• Main Gate
• Black Street Gate

In the nineteenth century, three new gates were built:
• Schei Gate, between Catherine Gate and Weavers’ Bastion
• Horses Fair Gate, between Catherine Gate and Blacksmiths’ Bastion
• The New Custom Gate, on the same site of the Monastery Gate.
The last two were eliminated at the end of the same century, because of the development of the city.

Once with the excavations for the renovation of the southern wall, there was found a gate in one of the gun powder towers found between Rope makers' Bastion and Weavers' Bastion: Gate towards Tampa

The external towers:
Brasov Citadel
had four outer towers:
• Black Tower
• White Tower
• Shoemakers' Tower
• Cutlers' Tower

There was also a fifth tower, namely the Tower built in the place of the current citadel. Currently in the Council Square, is the nuns of the premonstratenseorder monastery the  and observation tower which still is at the base of the Council House Tower. Also worth to mention the 28 gun powder towers, each defended by one guild, located on the fortress walls.

Other fortifications in the territory of Brasov:
• The fortress on Straja
• Brasovia Fortress
• The fortress on the Sprenghi hill
• The fortress from the Solomon's Stones
• The Dacian Fortress from Racadau


Latest Posts

^ Top