Add to Favorites
Travel Info
All about Romania

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
Results list

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos

Calnic Fortress

judetul Alba, Transilvania (UNESCO)

AddressCom. Calnic,


The name of the settlement is of Slavic origin, 'kal' or 'Kalinik' (= clay, loamy), being initially taken by the Romanians or the Hungarians, and then by the Sas people. The Sas name of the village is Kelling and sends to the first masters, the noble family Kelling. Like other families of Sas origin, they became very important.

Calnic Fortress was restored between 1962-1964 and now represents an international scientific cultural center. One of them, with the name of Chyl Kelling, founded in the middle of the thirteenth century the tower and used it as a residence in Calnic. Chyl then bought Blaj city and his descendants continued to buy the village Cut, Vingrad and many other settlements. In Calnic was discovered prehistoric material, and medieval traces belonging to the XI-XII centuries, but the medieval settlement itself was built in XII-XIII centuries.

The initial residence involved the first room, a rectangular building  under the current chapel (probably an initial dungeon that has been achieved only foundations, being quickly abandoned). A.A. Rusu thinks it was but only a rectangular altar of the chapel. The current tower was built around 1272 and appears in an rectangular form. He had the name of Siegfried Tower and the wall had a thickness of 1 meter. Initially the tower was only 14 m high, but was subsequently raised to 20 m.

On the ground floor there was a basement. The same semicylindrical vault is found at the first floor and other levels have no arch, but have ceiling. Also on the first floor, on the west wall, there was a fireplace, and after the digging therewere found fragments of tiles.

Once with the rebuilding works undertaken in 1962-1964 there has been found the bipartite frame of a window, with three lobes in each of the two parties, which describes an early Gothic phase, perhaps in the second half of the thirteenth century.

In 1430, Calnic Fortress is sold by Johann Gereb of Vingrad to the Sas community. In the second half of XVI century, the citadel was restored after the new requirements, with the spread of firearms: there is built the second enclosure in the old scarp ditch, and the tower receives another floor. Also then rises the tower bastion, horseshoe-shaped, and rises the  first primary curtin. During the same period, with the partial removal of the watch road, camera stores were rejoined to the first chamber wall. Calnic Fortress is included in UNESCO world patrimony.

Latest Posts

^ Top