Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Calvin-Reformed Church in Turda-Veche

Turda, judetul Cluj

AddressHasdeu, 1

Description

The Calvin-Reformed Church is the oldest monument preserved  in Turda. The church is located downtown, near Republicii Square (Piata Republicii), Lapidarium and the former Princely Palace (now the Museum of History).

It was built in XVth century, during the domination of Hungarian King Sigismund of Luxembourg (1387-1437), on the place of an older church. The first church on this place was of Roman Catholic rite, built in XIV century, with the patron St. Mary. This church is first mentioned in an old register of papal taxes since 1332, being directed by the priest Peter of "Antiqua Thorda" ( Old-Turda or Turda Veche in Romanian).

The first church building was formed of a hall with a tower (located on the southern side) and a choir placed on the eastern side. The second church (the present church) was designed in Gothic style, with one nave, having a length of 26 m, width of 8.5 m and a height of 16 m. Initially it was longer with 5-10 m, having on the eastern side (towards Republic Square) the regular choir / altar with ogival cross shaped vaults, a choir which was demolished once with the surrounding fortification of the building (the church no longer fit inside the walls of defense, it is located across the front of the fort; the choir / altar had to be sacrificed on a length of 5-10 m; this explains the unusually unaesthetic appearance of the eastern side of the church, no choir / altar and the Gothic portal is missing).

Instead of the demolished choir (on the new wall of defense) was built in 17th century a bell tower, which collapsed in 1862.
The new tower,with clock, has a height of 60 m, was built between 1904-1906. The facades of the north and west of the church are very beautiful. The western facade, with the entry surrounded by a decorated portal, presents elements typical to the style of the begining of the XVth century. The western portal is decorated with oak leaves motifs.The northern facade has five buttresses and a secondary portal that is permanently closed.

The interior of the church was damaged in a fire in the XVIIth century. The interior ornamentation is mostly rebuilt after restoration works. The church (originally Roman Catholic) passed in 1564 (until today) to the Calvinist-Reformed confession.

Latest Posts

^ Top