Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Cernica Orthodox Monastery Museum Collection

judetul Ilfov, Muntenia

Phone021 3511737
AddressCom. Cernica,Sos. Cernica, 16
Fax021 3511736

Description

In the category of churches in Ilfov County, an important place is taken by Cernica Monastery. It is located only 12 km from Bucharest, being part of the administrative space of Pantelimon village. The monastery is built on an islet in the middle of a lake bordered by secular forests, with the same attraction in any season, both for those who love nature but especially for Christian believers.

Cernica Orthodox Monastery
represents an important monastic and touristic settlement, being visited by believers around the country attracted by the grace of priests here. It is the only monastery that withstood over time and which increased in importance over the years.

The others churches from Colentina river, whether they dissapeared, like Tanganu, either remained parish churches, like Marcuta, Ghica, Fundeni, Pantelimon. Founded shortly after the reign of Michael the Brave, Cernica Monastery appears in documents from 1608. In that year, the Governor Cernica Stirbei built a wooden church dedicated to 'St. Nicholas' restoring an old monastery; he adds land, forests and villages, to the eternal memory of his name and his people. The settlement has grown from little monks church on the island "St. Nicholas ', becoming today a monastic complex which includes the island 'St. Gheorghe '.

Initially called Gradistea Floresti, the church received over time another name, that of its founder, meaning the current name. After 1608, the year 1781 is the essential historical moment by coming as an abbot of the monastery the parent Archimandrite George, one of the disciples of Saint Paisie of Neamt. It reestablished the community of monks who had fallen apart because of war and plague and builts the new church and everything that's material legacy.

The monastic life at Cernica gains in this way a new elan. On the island of St. Nicholas, the ancient church dedicated to 'St. Nicholas' of the Governor Cernica Stirbei, adapted to the needs of the monks community.

The present church built after the earthquake of 1802, by Abbot Timotei was completed in 1815, during the ruler Ion Gheorghe Caragea. The initial form was 8 towers and an open porch, interior painting made by the painter Fotache, one of the last masters of medieval painting. After the earthquake of 1838 and 1840 that affected the church seriously, it was restored several times, the last major reinforcement of 1965-1967 being done with the support of Patriarch Iustinian.

The monastery knew a vast cultural life due to abbot George, in the reign of Nicolae Mavrogheni, cultivated phanariot ruler.

A second church in the island of St. Nicholas is the 'St. Lazar', founder being Abbot Gheorghe in 1804. The limited size, with a rich exterior decoration, stone carving, with the interior bearing the signature of I. Keber and Frujinescu (iconostasis), the 'St. Lazarus' church symbolizes a true gem, asymmetric, slender, three-lobed plan, 2 columns at the entrance and stairs on the left.

It is the cemetery church, in the bottom (basement) being the tomb chamber. Seen as the most representative man of history, Holy Hierarch Calinic was abbot of the monastery Cernica during 1818-1850. He was always busy with building or with the restoration of churches, hospitals, schools and homes for orphans.

In his time on the island were built on St. Gheorghe islet (name received by the abbot name Gheorghe) surrounding walls with an  architecture specific for the plains area, the church 'St. Gheorghe', the abbot building and most of the homes and cells.

Culture passionate, Calinic founded a valuable library and founded here a religious painting school. The 32 years of abbey at Cernica monastery is a period of many efforts to develop the monastic life there, for better advised residents, for the endowment of the monastery with new places of worship and cells for schools.

He founded several workshops in which monks were making their own necessary clothing. Those trained were dealing with the copying of manuscripts, especially the writings of the Holy Fathers and the great guides of monastic life.

If in 1838 there were 300 monks, in 1850 their number reached 350. Among them were highlighted many personalities of religious life:  Ramniceanu Nahum, a prominent columnist, Bishop Ioanichie Stratonichias, originally from Transylvania, retreated towards the end of life at Cernica Monastery, Baldovin Anastasius, disciple and biographer of Calinic, Archimandrite Veniamin Catulescu, professor of Religion at the College St. Sava in Bucharest, Pimen, former abbot at Tismana Nicandru and others. the abbot Calinic was a good support for the believers who came to the monastery, was known both for its healing prayers, and for his works of mercy.

For several months, in 1821 the monastery fed a high number of residents in Bucharest and its surroundings, refugees from the Turks fear eliminations. Built between 1831-1832 under the patronage of the church 'St. Gheorghe' was founded by St. Ioanichie Stratonichias and Calinic. The church s destroyed shortly after the earthquake of 1838 the abbot began its rebuilding, finishing it in 1842 under the reign of Alexandru Ghica.

Cernica Monastery was restored along with all monastic assembly between years 1965-1967 by Patriarch Iustinian. The painting inside the church is made by the artist Adam. In the narthex there are painted oil portraits of founders Ioanichie Stratonichias and Calinic, work made by the painter Sava Hentia. The old cell where the abbot lived is located on the island of Saint Gheorghe of the lake Cernica and became in time the memorial house. There are preserved objects that have belonged to the great abbot.

An istitution of great importance was the Monastic Seminary, reopened in 1995.
Inside the monastic assembly there is also was a chapel dedicated to the 'Assumption' built in 1790 by Dan Brasoveana; another chapel is in the abbot George's house dedicated to the 'Entrance to the Church ', founder Archimandrite Gheorghe.

Noteworthy is the monastery's cemetery, reserved at first for monks, which received for the eternal rest many leaders of cultural, social, political life, boyars, builders and other personalities. Among those buried here are, Metropolitan Nifon, Gala Galaction writer, painter Ion Tuculescu, the historian Ion Lupas, the great theologian Dumitru Staniloae, Alina Stirbei, Maria Romanoff and many other illustrious, historical or spiritual figures. Some funerary monuments are works of architects and sculptors of value as I. Iordanescu, Carol Storck and others.It is also remarquable the tomb of the metropolitan Nifon, of white marble, painted by Gheorghe Tattarescu in 1875.

Latest Posts

^ Top