Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Cluj Fortress

judetul Cluj, Transilvania

AddressLoc. Cluj,

Description

Large groups of Saxon colonists settled in the city of Cluj, in the time of King Stefan V of Hungary, after the decimation of the population during the Tartar invasions.

The Royal Fortress Castrum Clus has achieved an urban organization until the fifteenth century. The Roman-German Emperor Sigismund of Luxemburg, also become King of Hungary, gave in 1405 to Cluj the rank of a Free Imperial City, taking it from the rule of Transylvania's vaivode. This helped Cluj to become an important centre for the production and the exchange of goods.

About 5 000 people did agriculture, worked in the workshops, but also had fun, charactersitic to that period and to the town. At that time the population was formed of Saxons, Szeklers and a small number of Romanians. The role of the craft in the city's works recorded a massive increase, subsequently appearing more craft guilds. Also at that time the town was entitled to build towers, walls and defensive towers.

They started building walls, which held until the end of the sixteenth century. The new fortress occupied a surface of 45 hectares, area twice as big as the initial medieval enclosure, the route being along Tiganilor River to east (the current streets Emil Isac and Samuil Micu), at north delimited by the current streets Potaissa and Mihail Kogalniceanu, and Avram Iancu.

The early fortification maintains its defense functions becoming a castellum of the city. The enclosure was completed at the middle of the fifteenth century and the eastern gate was built in 1449. There were used large blocks of stone used for building monumental walls.

A second building stage of this touristic site was held from 1470 - 1507 when it was built, among others, the West Gate and the Bridge's Tower. Important works were carried out between 1515 and 1525, an edict from 1571 of King Ludovic II exempting the Cluj people of taxes because for their hard work in building the fortress.

Totally representative for the region and period are the walls built exclusively of stone and furnished with battlements. The fortifications were impressive, intra-muros occupying 45 hectares.There were about 20 towers and gates that were maintained in peacetime and in times of war defended  by craft guilds.

Latest Posts

^ Top