Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Dabaca Fortress

judetul Cluj, Transilvania

AddressLoc. Dabaca,

Description

The monument is a former royal citadel and the center of Dabaca commitee. In the X-XIV centuries was an essential point in the history of Transylvania. The fortress is located in the current village of Dabaca in Cluj County.

The first research of the fortress dates from 1837 through the writings of K. Hodor, followed in 1942 by K. Crettier's archaeological survey and then a complex archaeological research begun in 1964 by Constantin Daicoviciu team. The fortress Dabaca has an annular form and consisted of four fortified enclosures, with a diameter of 600 m. It was located on the upper terrace of Lonei Valley and was used to keep control of the road transport of salt from Sic to Poarta Mesesului (Mesesului Gate).

The first fortress was built in the ninth century. K. Hodor, who described the ruins in 1837, considers that the fortress was founded on the place of a Dacian fortress. The fortress of the IX-X centuries was protected by ditches and streams of clay. Now, there is also built a rectangular tower and a wall that connects the eastern and western parts of the first enclosure, with a thickness of 3.2 m.

Both the tower and the wall were destroyed along with the Mongol invasion. Romanian archaeologists have long tried to discover evidence to support the text of the Gesta Hungarorum as the fortress was used as residence of the local cheif Gelu. These research were unsuccessful, although, contrary to the opinion of the Hungarian archaeologist Bona, the inhabitation of the site in the IX century has been confirmed by many objects.

Dabaca fortress was destroyed by the invasion of Tartars in 1241, then being restored. But it has failed to keep its importance. The stones of the fortress were used to build Teleki castle. Currently the ruins are partially covered.

Fortress Dabaca is initially certified in 1214 and in 1243 by an act of donation, King Bela IV of Hungary donated 3 villages belonging to the fortress (Fatateleke, Bachunateleke and Chegeteleke) to Theotonicus and Hermann, in return for theirs services.
In 1271, this touristic site was donated to Micud, as reward for his brave deeds, grant certified in 1279 by Ladislas IV.

Latest Posts

^ Top