Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Evangelical Church

Bistrita, judetul Bistrita-Nasaud

AddressPiata Centrala

Description

Evangelical Church - is located in downtown Bistrita, is an architectural monument representative for the transition in Transylvania, from Gothic to the Renaissance style.
Evangelical Church is located in a square, was and continues to represent a significant landmark in the geography of the settlement, but being the most representative architectural monument of the early Renaissance period.

History.
In form it has today, the building is the result of an almost total transformation. Under the walls of the current church is the material foundation of the house of worship built by early settlers. The first parson was Johannis Plebanus de Bystricia, certified documentary, mentioned in the evidence registers of papal teinds from years 1332 to 1333.

Construction of the new church, in the second half of the fourteenth century resulted in the building of a basilica with three naves, a polygonal choir and two towers that guard the main entrance of the north wall of the choir.
In a second stage, the church was rebuilt in the style of a Gothic basilica.
A third phase of construction began in 1475 and was completed in 1520. Church became a church hall in Gothic style.

Following the demolition of one of the two towers of the Romanesque basilica in 1478, has started building a new tower that was originally placed outside the walls of the church and was then connected by masonry and carpentry work, only in 1487.
The works were completed only in 1544, while at the same time, a clock was installed in the tower in 1521 which was in the process of repair.

The tower burned during the big fire of 1857, but the upper part was rebuilt. At that time, in 1857, was also installed the clock that exists today.

Bishop of Transylvania fulfilled the desire of parishioners from Bistrita in 1533, and rebuilt the church. Concluded in 1563, the work of Italian architect, Petrus Italus, embedded in the appearance and structure of the parish church of Bistrita new Renaissance style items. On this occasion, the facade of the west was changed by raising a pillar of masonry of large size, which has its correspondence in Polish space.
In the years that followed, the church hasn't undergone major restorations, but after the fire of 1857, when it were destroyed the roof and the clock tower, was rebuilt its top floor, in the Gothic style manner.
Last repair of the monument was made in 1926, as planned by Hermann Phleps architect, a native of Danzig.

Church architecture. The building itself and the tower looks today as a whole, although the two constituent parts come from different periods, combining several styles.
You can see elements of various architectural styles and art, starting with Romanic, Gothic to Renaissance style.
Through its size is among the most impressive sacral building in the area.
Central vessel is 42 meters long and a width of 18.4 to 19.6 meters, the choir has a length of 13.8 meters, the dome rising to a height of 16.8 meters above the central nave and a roof which rises 16 feet above the walls.

Importance of this architectural monument is increased by the vast inventory of art objects is sheltering and provides the edifice the quality of a real museum of the German community in the city. The oldest piece carved in stone is located on the south side of the former south-west tower at a height of about 8 feet and was made, according to the inscription, since 1327. This image presents a knight with sword and shield, a feature clothing fourteenth century.

The works of sculpture belong to the field of late Gothic style in Transylvania, through the sizes of the characters and the dynamic of the drapery clothing.

Other sculptures, the stone grave of vicar Stephan Decani, situated on the ground floor of the tower, made in 1682, approached the Baroque style through the dynamic of the composition organization and offers a true picture of the Evangelical Church at that time.
The first mention of the organ of this church dates from the year 1523 and in 1568 was signed a contract with Master Jacobus Laetus for constructing the organ with 30 sound registers.

At the ground floor of the tower is organized a small museum, where among the valuables, was to illustrate the skill of execution and valuable information on clothing of that time, tombstone of Senator Thomas Krestschmer (1585) and the Senator Andreas Umend with his wife.

A narrow staircase with 191 stone steps give access to the tower. Located at 39 meters altitude, from the beautiful gallery of stone of the tower opens a wide perspective. The tower is covered with a high pyramid helmet, with four towers wrapped on board at the corners.
Evangelical Church is the most important monument of the city, being considered an emblem of it, due to architectural greatness and artistic achievement.
The church tower dominates the location offering a great personality among cities of Transylvania.

Latest Posts

^ Top