Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Franciscan Monastery

Cluj-Napoca, judetul Cluj

AddressMuzeului, 2

Description

Originally, on this place existed an old Roman Catholic church, the first in Cluj, built in the XI-XII century, but destroyed during the first invasion of the Tartars (1241). After its destruction, on its place in the period 1260-1290 was built the current church.

The place of worship was built in a later Romanesque style. It is assumed that at first it was a small parish used by the Roman Catholic monks in 1390. In 1442 they initiated a series of measures for the development of the parish: the church was enlarged and they built a monastery near the church, with the support of Governor Ioan de Hunedoara.

Along with the chasing of the Catholic religion by the protestants in March 1556, the monastery building was no longer used for religious pusposes. Queen Isabella of Hungary lived in the building until 1557and after that the church was turned into a school (Unitarian since 1568). Since 1609, according to the will of Prince Gabriel Bathory, the building was donated to the Calvinist-Reformed rite. In 1693 the church and the monastery were given back to the Roman Catholic Church being used by the Jesuits. They set up a school. The Jesuit school functioned here until 1725, when the Jesuits have completed the construction of their own college and church (University Church of Cluj, Cluj Convictus Nobilium), which facilitated the return of the Franciscans in the city.

In 1728 the franciscans initiated a campaign of restoring the church building, they built the tower from the western facade in baroque style.
The baroque altar of the Jesuits was moved from the Franciscan Church from Medias, where it remained till now. Since 1898 in front of the church is located the Carolina obelisk, after its removal from Union Square.

Inside the monastery there is a famous library of the Franciscans
. Between the years 1906 - 1948 in the monastery functioned the print of St. Bonaventure, which printed over various religious journals ( "Catholic World", "Holy Cross").

The latest restoration of the building was made between years 1976-1978. On this occasion there was discovered a series of Gothic elements of the church. In 1949 the church became a parish church, after the communist authorities have decided to dissolve the franciscan Order from Romania. After the communist authorities have disbanded the religious orders, the building of the monastery sheltered the School of Music, which later became "Sigismund Toduta" School of Music that still exists today.

Latest Posts

^ Top