Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Galati History Museum

Galati, judetul Galati

Phone0236 414228
AddressMr. Iancu Fotea, 2
Fax0236 460797
Emailmuzeuistoriegalati@yahoo.com

Description

The debut of the Galati curators dates from 1890 when, at the proposal of scholar and politician Vasile Alexandrescu Urechia, was founded the first public library in Galati and a museum, that can be both found inside the High School "Vasile Alecsandri".

The Museum’s collection touches many themes, summing parts of the archeology theme, paleontology, heraldics, numismatics, ethnography, weapons, various old documents, pictures and so on. Most of the objects that are part of this collection are included in the History Museum from Galati. In 1913, Paul and Ecaterina Pasa teachers founded another museum, with mixed profile, arranged in a room at the Boys School no. 6 from Galati.

This touristic site gathers more supplies from the natural sciences and from the history assets. With the support of some people from Galati, in 1937 was founded “Cuza Voda House", which, from the funds raised by public subscription, donations and contribution of local and central authorities, purchased the former home of the parents of Alexandru Ioan Cuza, and on the 24 of January 1939 it was opened as a museum, under the name of "Cuza Voda House" Museum.

During the Second World War the museum was closed, many assets were evacuated and most of them were lost. In the years 1951-1952 it was tried a first structure of a museum institution on scientific bases, after a proper theme and owned assets. The History Museum received specialized personnel who made the first systematic research in the field of local history. Until 1956, the museum has maintained a mixed profile with sections of natural sciences, history and art.

In 1956, the museum institution from Galati changed its profile, by opening the Museum of Natural Science, the Museum of History and Art Museum, cultural institutions with different profiles.

Over time the collection of the History Museum was in a further development: in 1969, this collection presented over 25,000 cultural goods, a significant increase compared to 1951 when 3.918 cultural property were registered, and the area dedicated to the exhibition increased from 280 sqm to 1450 sqm. At the same time, the scientific research, showed that the area of Galati was a settlement in which human civilization has developed continuously from the Paleolithic to the present.

In the northern part of the Galati County there have been carried on an archaeological research in seven palaeolithic points: Puricani, Plesa, Balabanesti, Sipote, Cavadinesti, Baneasa and Suceveni where there were found pieces dating back almost 20,000 years ago.

Paleolithic inhabitants were hunters who moved to the area between Prut and the Carpathians. Neolithic Era, a great cultural synthesis, the spiritual matrix of Europe, was depicted together with archaeological research in Baneasa, Muntenia, Beresti, Suceveni, Puricani, Plesa and so on.

Traces of Bronze Age material were found to Cavadinesti, Garbova Baneasa, Rogojeni, Galati and Baleni, where was revealed the largest deposit of bronze objects from Moldova (269 items).
The first Iron Age (Hallstatt) is featured in the county by the discoveries from Vanatori, Galati, Lunca, Sivita, Suceveni and so on.

The second Iron Age (La Tene) is linked to the Geto-Dacian culture and with the connection with Scythian civilizations, Greek, Illyrian, Celtic, and Romanian. Geto-Dacian tribes have built in this area great civilian centers just like the ones from Poiana (Piroboridava) and Rates-Tecuci, they raised fortress and military centers like those in Barbosi -Galati and Brahasesti.

Also, systematic archaeological excavations of the men on the south-western promontory, they found numerous traces of Roman civilization and its connection with the Geto-Dacian civilization. Cultural objects found behind archaeological research is the gold fund of the museum.

For the feudal, modern and contemporary periods there have been done archaeological research to Barcea, Garbova Suceveni, Vanatori, Virgin-Galati.

A particularly important collection is the Ethnology one, summing about 1,400 goods, bought and found in almost all villages of the county. The result of the research have led to numerous studies and articles published in professional journals or presented at the communication sessions, on topics of communications, exhibitions and essays.

In 1967 the first issue of “Danubius" magazine, annually programmed, interrupted at certain times, for objective reasons, and which today has reached number XXIII. The magazine that sends over 60 specialized institutions in the country and abroad, publishes the results of the scientific research and it represents in the same time, a treasur of documentary development of civilization, culture and science in one of the most active economic areas of Romania.

In 1976 was inaugurated the exhibition "Personalities from Galati’s modern history" (in the building situated on the street Mihail Bravu no. 46), interrupted due to the earthquake damage occurred in 1984. The same fate was played by the exhibition of contemporary ethnography and the exhibitions of contemporary history, the buildings were given to the fate of other institutions of local administration authorities, in 1981 and respectively in 1982.

The restoration, consolidation and upgrading of permanent historical exhibition was held until 1988. From 1984 until 1990, Galati museums were put under unified coordination in a "museum complex" code.

Since 1990, the History Museum has reshaped the theme of the exhibition, focusing on cultural property exposure, eliminating the general thematic tours. It was reorganized in 1993-1994 the exhibition at the “C. Negri" Memorial House. In the period 1994-1995, it was reopened the permanent exhibition from the "Cuza Voda" house (main building) following the two criteria: emphasizing the personality and presentation of Alexandru Ioan Cuza, and the presentation of Galati in the second half of the nineteenth century and first decades of twentieth century, as an economic centre, commercial and cultural center of modern Romania.

In 1994, after the completion of the works of the “Lapidarium" target, began in 1989, it was realized the first Romanian exhibition of archaeological goods of large space in a suitable place. Currently there is a lot of work to refurbish the museum deposits, based on scientific criteria.

Currently, the institute extends its museum exhibitions on an area of 3156 square meters, in four different locations, from 476 sqm warehouses and restoration areas, work spaces and modules and function (176 sqm), a hall of cultural events (98 sqm).

Latest Posts

^ Top