Add to Favorites
Travel Info
All about Romania

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
Results list

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos

Matei Corvin House

Cluj-Napoca, judetul Cluj

AddressMatei Corvin, 6


Matei Corvin house - it was built in the XVth century and is located within the first enclosure of defense that belonged to the old fortress. Initially it was used as a hostelry, in 1740 was bought by Cluj to function as a prison or hospital. In 1887, Emperor Francis Joseph visited the city, on which occasion a commemorative plaque was placed on the building, designed by Lajos Pakey and made by the sculptor Gyorgy Zala.

In this house on 23 February 1440, was born Matei Corvin, son of theTransylvanian voivode, Iancu de Hunedoara.
Matei Corvin became the king of Hungary between the years 1458-1490. Today is considered one of the greatest Hungarian kings.
King decided that this building to be exempted from fees and taxes, exemption which was kept also by the rulers who followed.

On October 22, 1902 within the Museum of Transylvanian Carpathian Society was opened one of the most beautiful museums in Transylvania at that time, dedicated to tourism, ethnography and balneology. There was exhibited a collection of over 7,000 objects, including ceramics, embroidery, agricultural tools, ports, rural household objects. Two rooms of the building were intended to the evocation of Matei Corvin memory, displaying also the 7 models that have competed at the 1894 contest for the statue of Matei Corvin. Over 2,000 volumes of the collection were donated by the university professor Otto Hermann. The museum functioned until 1935.

After the Second World War the building sheltered a college for a while, then the University of Art and Design. In 1996 was installed a commemorative plaque with inscriptions in Romanian and English.

Built in the Gothic styleMatei Corvin house has suffered over the years various changes and adaptations to newer styles. Thus, in the first half of the XVI-th century was introduced a series of architectural Renaissance elements.

At the end of the XIX-th century the house was restored, adding specific elements of early 1900 style. It was again restored in 1940 by the architect Kos Karoly, and then, in the communist period, were removed many changes made in 1900.
Today the hose hosts Ion Andreescu Institute of Fine Arts.

Latest Posts

^ Top