Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Negru Voda Monastery

Campulung Muscel, judetul Arges

Phone0248 510750
AddressNegru Voda, 64

Description

Negru Voda Monastery is found in Campulung-Muscel. The monastery was built in 1215, by tradition, by Prince Radu Negru. Later it was restored by Basarab I and his son, Nicolae Alexander. It will be rebuilt by Matei Basarab, when also receives the status of the monastery.

Negru Voda Monastery signifies the most important religious complex from Muscel. In its composition it is found the Princely Chapel of the royal Court, later the big church of the monastery, the small church - infirmary - from the first quarter of the eighteenth-century, the bell tower from the entrance of the premises - the XVII century, the Royal House - was built in the VII century, on old foundations of the XIV century, Abbots' houses - the eighteenth century, the royal House Annex and the cells of the early nineteenth century. One can find also the inn-Bazar of the monastery disappeared since 1746.

The fortifications belong to the half of the fourteenth century and are constructed as a wave of gravel and rocks surrounded by a 9 meters wide and surrounded by a deep ditch of 2.5 meters filled with water. Royal Palace was the focus around which have appeared over time all other buildings that formed, subsequently, Negru Voda Monastery.

The second founder of the monastery, Matei Basarab (1635-1638) restored the place of worship from the base, the old church became friary, by decree of 10 August 1647, in the same year being also built thel bell tower, 35 meters high, with the role of both enclosure and military fortification gate, being equipped with battlements. The vaulted gang maintains today massive oak gates which begin with a beam of proportions, with inscriptions mentioning the date 1749.

In 1669, lord Radu Nasturel put the foundations of a royal school, first school in which teaching is done in Romanian language, in order to teach also the children of the poor, not only the children of noblemen and rulers.
Great Church of the monastery is dedicated to "Assumption" and is the third building from the current church ensemble.

The form of the church is the nave, with three towers, the one in the middle is higher, and those from the east and west lower. It was built by architect plans Franz Walet in the same place and with the same material from the first building.

Because of the earthquake in 1802 and 1819 the church was ruined remaining so until 1826 when by the orders of Prince Grigore Ghica is initiated the construction with the same materials, adding also carved stones.

The shrine is wide and has a shape of arc. The vault is divided by two arches asymmetric leaning on poles only in the south. Behind the temple are two columns that rise up to the canopy, on the right is inscribed year 1832, when the Church was inaugurated.

The wooden temple has ornamental decorations among which the most common motifs being stylized plant. Also, the imperial doors impress with many decorative elements. Between the three registers with icons is distinguished the higher, because it semicircular arches in the central part.

The temple has a more advanced plan to the central nave, compared to the side ones, withdrawn to the altar. This is one of the most beautiful iconostasis in Muscel.
The nave is rectangular and has no aisles. In the middle of the nave is a large carved wooden candelabrum.

In 1920, was started the orphanage's construction, on the place of the cells' ruins and on September 1, 1922 it was opened here the seminar of the war orphans "Patriarch Miron".
Unfortunately, with the May 8, 1934 a fire destroyed a part of the seminar, the abbey museum, the tower and dome shell.

In 1928, at the initiative of Patriarch Miron this place or worship became monastery.
In 1955 the painting was restored, with the support of Patriarch Justinian in fresco.

On the west side are painted Matei Basarab, who holds in his hand a church with three high towers and two small towers, and in the other side Lady Elena, holding the church with her right hand. Radu Negru also holds in his left hand another church with five high towers and two small towers and Nicholas Alexander Prince Ilias holding with his right hand the same church.

Latest Posts

^ Top