Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Plumbuita Monastery

Bucuresti, Muntenia

Phone021 2410546
AddressPlumbuita, 58

Description

Plumbuita Monastery was founded during the Petru Voda’s (1559-1568) time, son of Mircea Ciobanul and Ms. Chiajna and was finished by the ruler Mihnea Turcitul. Near this worship place you can find a bell tower, the Royal House and the cells.
The Royal House is a museum that contains a collection of religious and original murals.

Plumbuita Monastery is dedicated to St. John the Baptist Nativity, the Orthodox religion and is located on a hill on the right bank of the river Colentina in Bucharest. The monastery was founded on July 1st 1564, and its history can be considered a tumultuous one with many events that make this place of worship to remain a special one.

In 1585, ruler Mihnea Turcitul dedicates Plumbuita monastery to the one on Mount Athos, monastery Xiropotamou.
Between 1595 and 1914 the church reached an advanced state of degradation because of large damages and a fire.
The church is rebuilt in 1647, at the request of ruler Matei Basarab, this time following the model of Dealu monastery built by Radu cel Mare, to honor the victory from 1632 of the Romanians against the Turks. With this second structure, the Royal House is added, and the monastery is fortified with high walls for protection.

Between years 1802-1806, Abbot Dionysius of Ioannina builds a new bell tower after the old one was destroyed during an earthquake in 1802. The monastery is named 'Plumbuita' by the locals, because of the roof which has been a long time in lead table.

The monastery, rebuilt by ruler Matei Basarab in 1647, has triconch plan, with the tower on the nave and holds architectural character typical to the Wallachia region, and Gothic windows frames, which shows the influence of Moldavian architecture.

The Royal house has massive brick arches on the ground floor and numerous arches supported by cylindrical columns, at the first floor. The touristic site is one of the few examples of previous civil architecture of the nineteenth century which is preserved in Bucharest. Monastery Plumbuita has currently 6 monks, who are under the spiritual care of Father Abbot Visarion Marinescu.

The bell tower is included in the enclosure wall in half its southern side. The tunnel’s entry pierce the top level and has above the Board bells. Due to restoration, the Museum of the Royal House is closed to the public. Workshops have been temporarily moved to Popesti-Leordeni.

Plumbuita Monastery sustains various projects for disadvantaged families in the local community.
In the monastery there is a medical office and a pharmacy, founded and supported by sponsors, where the low-income population benefits, to the extent possible, of medical assistance and free medicines.




Latest Posts

^ Top