Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Saint John the New Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina (UNESCO)

AddressLoc. Suceava,

Description

Built to face the multitude of believers coming to pray at the relics of Saint John the New (in Rom. Sfantul Ioan cel Nou), Saint John the New Monastery of Suceava is a monastery of monks, which is dedicated to the Holy Great Martyr George (in Rom. Gheorghe).
As the inscription above the entrance door to porch sais, the church was begun by Prince Bogdan III, son of Stephen the Great (Stefan cel Mare), in 1514 and finished by Stefanita Voda, son of Bogdan in 1522. The church was consecrated by Metropolitan Teoctist.

The church was finished in the first year in which Stefanita was able to be titled "Dei gratia Dominus et Woiewoda regni Moldaviae".
Built in order to serve the Suceava Metropolitan church, as Mirauti church proved to be too small. The complex of medieval architecture of the former Metropolitan Cathedral combines, besides the church itself and the  belfry, the "clisiarnita" (house in which lives the princely family or receive its guests) of Anastasie Crimca.

During the reign of Petru Schiopu, the tower bell was kept in its original form, only one floor built of irregular stone, provided with square folding stone. Then are the strips of three rows of brick. The ruler's house was constructed by the Metropolitan Anastasie Crimca to serve in the winter service. Between 1786-1789 functioned here the first catechetic clerical school in Suceava, led by monk Daniel Vlahovici. In 1895 on the western side were painted in 1895 by Vladimir Mironescu four scenes that portrayed the martyrdom of St. John the New.

In terms of architecture it can be observed the classical behaviour, but the grave is missing, which was supposed to be like the one in Neamt, interspersed between the narthex and nave. Instead the grave there is an extension of the nave, to the west, which is corresponding to a same joint at east, between the tower and chancel. With four windows and four small buttresses, the tower is octagonal. This is located on a double eight-pointed star pedestal.

Dating from the time of Petru Rares, the frescoes that decorate St. Gheorghe Church today are the work of Moldovan craftsmen. Bishop Melchisedek in 1893 after deciphering on the southern wall of the nave, the inscription on the back of the canopy under which is the coffin with the relics of St. John the New, concluded that the painting would date from the time of Petru Schiopul. In terms of style, the painting of the nave is characteristic, the tendency to amplify forms of mural painting of predecessor churches reached its peak.

The image of Teoctist II, Metropolitan of Moldavia under Stefan cel Mare (Stephen the Great) captured in one of the paintings, worth a special attention, both in terms of artistic and historical. The exterior painting made after the inland painting that offered beauty to the Metropolitan Cathedral of Suceava, experienced a larger deterioration in the period of Habsburg domination, when was mostly covered with a layer of plaster. The Church dedicated to Saint Gheorghe is listed in UNESCO patrimony.

Latest Posts

^ Top