Add to Favorites
Travel Info
All about Romania

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
Results list

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos

Saschiz Fortress

judetul Mures, Transilvania

AddressSat Saschiz,


Documentary attested in the years 1308-1310, Village of Saschiz is also known in Romanian under the names Saschizd, Chizd.
This village was inhabited by the Széklers until the late thirteenth century when it became a town inhabited mostly by Germans, known under the name of Kaissdit.

Competing with Sighisoara, this town was the center of capitulum in Szaszkezd (meeting house for canons), which is why, in 1663, Mihai Apafi, Hungarian prince of Transylvania (1661-1690), held a diet (session of Parliament ) in the local church. In 1493 started the construction works for this church and were completed in the first half of the fourteenth century as a fortified church. Tower and the little church came to have the current appearance in 1677.

In building the Tower, craftsmen had as model the the Clock Tower in Sighisoara.
The tower was rebuilt in 1832 after being seriously damaged by the earthquake of 1986. Tower roof is pyramid-shaped and is covered in glazed tile, colored in various colors.
Among the valuable objects in the possession of the church worth to mention a gothic goblet, made now more than 500 years by an unknown artist.
Saschiz (Keisd) locality received in 1494, from the province of Sibiu, a member of the seven Saxon seats, the sum of 50 guilders, then in 1497 amounts of 25 guilders, 16 guilders in 1521, and finally, in 1525 other 15 guilders, contribution to building the fortified church.

Between 1503-1507, St. Stefan Church (German Stephanskirche) was offered the right to grant indulgences. These indulgences were given by the Catholic Church in exchange of money in the  period 1503-1507, the era that preceded the Protestant Reformation.
In 1677, made by a Tyrolean master builder, who took as model the Clock Tower in Sighisoara, built the main tower. In April 1714, a devastating fire destroyed most of the buildings in Saschiz, on which occasion were melted the three bells of the clock tower.

In Saschiz, along with the fortified church of St. Stefan, there were six other churches and from this point of view, unofficially, the town was also known as Siebenkirchen (seven churches). Currently there are traces of four of them. Saxon fortification built between XIV-XV, with high walls up to 9 m. The entire assembly was surrounded by an imposing wall of defense, whose route is followed by the current fortress surrounding of the church. The fortress had six bastions and a deep fountain of 60 m (which today has only 10-12 m). The legend sais that from the bottom of the well would was made a tunnel leading to the village center. On a stone of the fortress is carved the year 1343.

Latest Posts

^ Top