Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Sihastria Monastery

judetul Neamt, Moldova

Phone0233 251896
0233 251897
AddressLoc. Vanatori,
Fax0233 251978
Contact personStaret - Arhimandrit Victorin Oanele

Description

Sihastria Monastery is one of the hermitages blessed in our country, being founded in 1655. Until 1734 it was a small unknown hermitage settlement, having the name "Sihastria of Atanasie", after its founder. After this date, the hermitage was updated and became subordinate to the great monasteries nearby, Neamtu and Secu, as a living place for monks. Together with Sihla hermitage nearby, they became two of the best known hermitages in the region of Neamt, much appreciated by the monks and, no less by the believers, who went on pilgrimage to the Cave of Saint Teodora from Sihla.

As a settlement, Sihastria Monastery is situated in the northern part of Neamt county, 22 km to the town of Targu Neamt, on the road between Pipirig - Vatra Dornei. Leaving on the right side Neamt Monastery, the road continues through Branistea world where secular oaks were rising, all reminiscent of the battles for the defense of Moldova. The road leaves the main road 15 km, passing over Ozana and west on Secu stream Valley. After climbing for 4 km climb, we see Secu Monastery. After another 3 km of road in the forest appear in all its beauty, serene and solitary, Sihastria monastery.

The history of Sihastria Monastery through three centuries of existence, still evokes significant historical moments. The monastery architecture shows the Moldovan classical style, despite so many renewals and additions, keeps up in an age so late. The existence in these surroundings of many hermits in the early seventeenth century is attested by a few notes on ancient religious books and some traces of them.

The number of the hermits was increasing so that establishing a hermitage at hand was a necessity. Bishop Ghedeon of Husi, disciple of Metropolitan Varlaam Motoc, founded in 1655 first church of the Sihastria hermitage, to which builds the cells and other annexex needed. The chosen settlement was "the meadow of Atanasie", that provided favorable life conditions of hermitage and the first inhabitants were seven hermits of Neamt Monastery.

Hard times and especially the numerous incursions of Tartars from the early eighteenth century, resulted the ruins of the Sihastria hermitage. Ghedeon, Bishop of the Roman built in 1734 a more lasting and spacious new church that dedicates to Secu Monastery in the vicinity, after the tradition of the time.

In 1821, among other monasteries,Sihastria Monastery fell prey to a fire in a battle, but didn't totally burn. The treasure of the hermitage was hidden in those days in Poiana Crucii, under a beech, in a copper boiler. The mystery of the objects of worship has been lost over time.

Renovations began only in 1824 and lasted almost two years. Thus, Sihastria hermirage began again the thread of its existence, interrupted for four years time. In 1837 was made of wood a chapel dedicated to Saints Ioachim and Ana Parents and two more bodies of cells in the eastern and northern. In 1842 "a fountain with two pipes as shown" brought inside "soft and life-giving water.
In the summer of 1941 another fire consumed the wooden chapel and a part of the cells, which led many monks to go to other monasteries.

There have been restored the inside and the cells with the help of Neamt monastery, until 1944 have been built two bodies of cells with more than 20 rooms. To beat the great trials of war and drought, the community led by Father Cleopa hardened spiritually, numerically and grew, and with great effort, succeeded in 1946 to build a new chapel. On October 16, 1988 was held the sanctification of the central church, painted by Protos. Bartolomeu Florea.

The big Church "Birth of the Virgin"
- in all buildings, the central church presents a special interest because the master used the classical style of the Moldovan churches. The balance of proportions, the effect of lines, the imposing tower, sobriety of the interior and simplicity of the exterior ornaments are some of its specific features.

Chapel "Holy Fathers Ioachim and Anna"
- in the southeastern corner of the enclosure, on a high stone foundation is the chapel of the Holy Fathers Ioachim and Ana. It was built in 1946, on the site of the old chapel destroyed by fire. The chapel is built on triconch plan, with one octagonal tower on the nave. Has inside length of 9 m, width of the aisles of 8 m, and is structured in porch, narthex, nave and altar. The interior is lighted by seven windows, including four in the narthex and three on the apses axis. The tower also has four small windows. Although is relatively small, the chapel contains a large amount of painting and sculpture in wood, of great artistic value.

Cathedral of "St. Theodora of Sihla "
After 1947, Sihastria, a small hermitage was transformed into a missionary monastery sought by many pilgrims.
Especially after 1989, when the community increased (in 1994 reaching nearly 140 parents and siblings), and the faithful came in large number at the monastery, it was felt the need to build a larger and more spacious church.
The construction was carried out very quickly, the community helped a lot, the hundreds and thousands of faithful people who came on pilgrimage to the monastery gave each what they could and other people, with financial possibilities have supported the work of building the monastery with materials and money.

The belltower
- situated in north-eastern corner of the enclosure, being part of the whole building built in 1825. It is a building located close to cells, structured on two levels with access hallway and four ramparts, which reminds of the old defense towers. The walls, with a thickness of 2 meters, at the base have 7 meters and were made of river rocks and hydraulic lime, and the roof is closed in the usual Moldovan bulb.

The monastery's cemetery is located on the current site, due to Father Cleopa, who in the years 1944-1945, moved here the remains of monks from the three existing cemeteries until that moment, one of which is placed around the central church. The cemetery church was built at the initiative of Father abbot Victorin Oanele. First there was a church dedicated to "St. Archangels Mihail and Gavriil" moved from Hlapesti village, Dragomiresti township. Since the church was very damaged, father abbot decided to build a new church. The building of the church was made in the years 1987-1999. The iconostasis is painted by Archimandrite Vartolomeu Florea, and the icons that decorate the church are those of the old church. The church was consecrated on the day of August 7, 1999, by Archbishop Metropolitan Daniel and P.S. Cassian, giving the patron "Resurrection of Christ" and "St. Ioan the Evangelist".

Service schedule:

-From Monday to Sunday:
16:00 - clock 9, Vespers, Small Compline
Hours 23:00 - Miezonoptica, Matins, clock I
7:00 - The hymn, clock 3, clock 6, the Divine Liturgy

Latest Posts

^ Top