Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

« 7-12 / 2120 »

Probota Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina

Located in Probota, in Suceava County, Probota Monastery was built at the order of Prince of Moldova, Petru Rares. The name of this monastery is of Slavic origin and means "brotherhood". The [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
24 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Wooden Church of Ieud Deal

judetul Maramures, Maramures

Built by the local noble family in the early seventeenth century in Ieud, the old church situated on the hill is a century older than the wooden plain church. The Wooden Church from Ieud Deal represen [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
10 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Ghelinta - the frescoes of St. Ladislau's legend

Covasna, judetul Covasna

Built in Roman style, the old building of the Roman Catholic Church in the village of Ghelinta was enlarged in the fifteenth century, but the frescoes made in the early fourteenth century were kept in [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
3 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Saint John the New Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina

Built to face the multitude of believers coming to pray at the relics of Saint John the New (in Rom. Sfantul Ioan cel Nou), Saint John the New Monastery of Suceava is a monastery of monks, which is de [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Saint Nicholas Wooden Church

judetul Maramures, Maramures

Built in 1643, Saint Nicholas Wooden Church from Budesti represents an eloquent example of a typical church from Maramures. Representative in this sense is the structure of the monastery: with high in [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Calnic Fortress

judetul Alba, Transilvania

The name of the settlement is of Slavic origin, 'kal' or 'Kalinik' (= clay, loamy), being initially taken by the Romanians or the Hungarians, and then by the Sas people. The Sas name of the village is [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
3 x Images
4 x videos
UNESCO

St. Gheorghe Royal Church

Pitesti, judetul Arges

AddressVictoriei, 7
Emaillucian@priest.com

Description

St. Gheorghe Royal Church was founded in 1656 by Constantin Serban Basarab and his wife, Lady Balasa.
Until 1746 there are no documents about the church. In 1746 appeared in some notes left by Neofit, the Metropolitan of Oungro-Wallachia, who embarked on a long trip to Walachia. His writings were published in the Journal of the Romanian Orthodox Church in 1876 and from here passed into "the Register of St. Gheorghe Church" in the same year, a register that gathers: history, founders, endowers, repairs etc.

It is possible that initially the Church of St. Gheorghe has not been painted on the inside (except for icons hanging on the walls) and had no plaster on the outside.

The choice of brick on the exterior gives the impression of old Wallachian settlements dating from the fifteenth and sixteenth century.
The church was built in the eighteenth century and besides the art characteristics of this epoch (in the form of clubs), has also the monumentality, meaning the unusual proportion for those times.

Observing carefully, the Church of St. Gheorghe is composed of 3 different parts: the altar with the nave are maintained in their original form, the narthex may have been added later than the other two. The parts differ not only by external decoration (arcade and belts), but by the building itself, because the narthex is much higher than the rest of the building. In 1848 the church pulpit and the shingle roof burnt, the bells were affected but the rest was saved.

After 1848, the church of St. Gheorghe was the subject of some restorations. It received a tin roof, but instead of the little towers was set the big tower, placed towards west and the open porch. The 37 meters of the tower give an imposing appearance to the church.

Latest Posts

^ Top