Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

St. Princely Nicholas Church

Iasi, judetul Iasi

AddressAnastasie Panu, 28

Description

St. Princely Nicholas Church is located near the Palace of Culture, being one of the oldest buildings in the capital of Moldova. The building is founded by the ruler Stefan cel Mare and was built between 1491-1492, and later renovated several times, the last time at the last century, according to the French architect Lecomte de Nouy's plans.

By the end of the seventeenth century, the church served as the Metropolitan Cathedral, here being enthroned almost all the rulers of Moldavia. Being located close to the former princely court and because there were anointed almost all the rulers of Moldavia, from Despot Voda to Alexandru Ioan Cuza, the church was named Saint Princely Nicholas.

The exterior architecture blends harmoniously stone, brick and tiles, placed in polychrome pottery discs. In niches in the upper register are painted in fresco a total of 282 faces. The interior of the church was made entirely in the final restoration. The walls and vaults are covered by a sumptuous fresco on a blue background, skillfully executed by the French Boris Bernard, P. Mauretal and Emilie Mempiot.
During the restoration of the church, the building suffered a great architectural loss. Because of its age, faced a lot of times hardships, fires and earthquakes that have brought it in a serious state of decay.

Discovered and ruined, remained like this until the reign of Antonie Reset, who in 1676 began repairing it. In this way the nartex was made higher than the church, adding another church at the entrance where they built another two altars, at the right and left of the old monument, to give a more imposing appearance, worthy of the status of Metropolitan Cathedral (after moving the capital in Iasi). The altar was dedicated to the right side of St. Varvara martyress and the services were held in Greek, in the north the altar was dedicated to St. Archdeacon Stefan, serving in Slavonic and Russian. Antonie Russet was the one who had made in the church wall a fountain for the believers.

The architect Lecomte de Nouy began the radical restoration in 1884. Rebuilt in brick and niches, the church took the form of the old Moldovan construction and the paintings of Prince Antonie Ruset family and Prince Gheorghe Duca family were replaced with those of the royal family. Between 1989 and 1993, having made several repairs, the paintings were washed.
The dedication was made on October 16, 1994 by Eminence Metropolitan Daniel of Moldavia and Suceava. Being the most remarkable edifice of Prince Stefan cel Mare, near the Royal Court, it is the oldest church in Iasi.

Visiting hours: daily, between 08.00-19.00.

Latest Posts

^ Top