Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Black Church

Brasov, judetul Brasov

Phone0268 511824
AddressCurtea Johannes Honterus, 2
Fax0268 511825

Description

Located in the heart of Romania in a nature of a rare beauty, Brasov impresses with its tumultuous history of 800 years.

The Black Church, the main tourist attraction in the center of Brasov, plays an important role, being one of the most important and impressive monuments built by the Transylvanian Saxons in their 850-year history.

The name of "Black Church" has been attributed to the main church of the Evangelical-Lutheran German in Brasov after the catastrophic fire in 1689 which affected the whole town. Because of the flames and the smoke, the church’s walls were blackened, but the luxury, the elegance and the grandeur of the church could not be destroyed.

The length of the Black Church is 89 meters, the church being the largest Gothic church between Vienna and Constantinople.
The curch’s building was begun in the Gothic style with the support of the first-priest Thomas Sander in 1383 on the site of a church dating from the first half of XIII century.

In 1421, the church was the victim of serious damage because of the first Turkish invasion. In 1477, the church was completed and has been dedicated to Holy Virgin. Of the two towers mentioned in the original plans in the western side of the church, only the one from the south-west side was finished, rising to a height of 65 m.

In 1542, the reformer Johannes Honterus established here the evangelical service in German. With this introduction are registered the first successes of the religious reform in Transylvania. The reform is mentioned by the painting of Fritz Schullerus (1866 - 1898), which is exposed on the southern side of the vessel front wall. The picture illustrates the oath by the council of Brasov on the new learning (1543). The Black Church suffered major damage due to a large fire in 1689.

Nearly one hundred years were needed for the restoration and the reconstruction of the Black Church.
During this period, the imposing roof, with its height of 20 m, is rebuilt in its current form. With the restoration of the interior space, the Gothic character of the church was lost.

The vaulting in gothic style was exchanged with a cylindrical Baroque vault (turquoise). During the pietist movement, who practiced influence from Germany to Transylvania, the church life experienced a strong growth. Between 1710 - 1720, in the lateral naves there were added baroque galleries to enlarge the church’s capacity, in order to accommodate all the faithful participants in religious services. The galleries have been made in a grate harmony, entering perfectly into the architectural team.

Because of the many earthquakes and ceramic tiles used in construction, there were required constant maintenance works.
Between 1654 – 1656 was required the restoration of the triumph arc with two massive buttresses outside.
Further restorations were made in the nineteenth century and the twentieth century. The restoration of the years 1937 – 1944 focused mainly on the choir. Because of the Second World War, the restoration was interrupted.

The statues of the pilasters of the choir, dating from the fifteenth century, were heavily damaged due to bad weather and so they were replaced with copies, and the originals blackened because of the great fire were placed in the church (in the west), which can be admired to this day.

In 1970 were made extensive and expensive restoration works to the roof, the southern facade and yhe interior of the church. In 1984, the church was rehallowed. New windows were installed, which shows the filter, retaining the ultraviolets (very harmful for carpets). The Black Church never was an Episcopal cathedral.

The Black Church’s Organ is one of the largest in the southeastern Europe, is renowned for its sonority of rare beauty. With about 400 tubes, the church’s organ was built between 1836-1839 by Buchholz, an organ manufacturer from Berlin.
In recent decades, during the summer months, there are organized season concerts with organ music.

In 1924, the gallery in front of the organ was expanded to allow support of major concerts with the participation of religious music church choir. A treasure of great value to the Black Church is the anatolic carpets of the XVII-XVIII century, which are one of the richest collections in Europe Anatoly carpets.

The carpets of Brussa, Usak and Ghiordes from the Little Asia, recognized centers of manufacture rugs art, were offered by craftsmen guilds to the church in Brasov, by merchants and other citizens of the city.

A claim soustains the Gothic’s beauty present with the building of this church "The visitor is drawn by the portals’s hopper and led through the alley of columns, unescapeable, to the altar. His gaze searches the heights ..." (D. von Oppenau).

Program

Monday - Saturday: 10-17
Organ concerts: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday


Latest Posts

^ Top