Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

« 7-12 / 2120 »

Probota Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina

Located in Probota, in Suceava County, Probota Monastery was built at the order of Prince of Moldova, Petru Rares. The name of this monastery is of Slavic origin and means "brotherhood". The [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
24 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Wooden Church of Ieud Deal

judetul Maramures, Maramures

Built by the local noble family in the early seventeenth century in Ieud, the old church situated on the hill is a century older than the wooden plain church. The Wooden Church from Ieud Deal represen [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
10 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Ghelinta - the frescoes of St. Ladislau's legend

Covasna, judetul Covasna

Built in Roman style, the old building of the Roman Catholic Church in the village of Ghelinta was enlarged in the fifteenth century, but the frescoes made in the early fourteenth century were kept in [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
3 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Saint John the New Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina

Built to face the multitude of believers coming to pray at the relics of Saint John the New (in Rom. Sfantul Ioan cel Nou), Saint John the New Monastery of Suceava is a monastery of monks, which is de [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Saint Nicholas Wooden Church

judetul Maramures, Maramures

Built in 1643, Saint Nicholas Wooden Church from Budesti represents an eloquent example of a typical church from Maramures. Representative in this sense is the structure of the monastery: with high in [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Calnic Fortress

judetul Alba, Transilvania

The name of the settlement is of Slavic origin, 'kal' or 'Kalinik' (= clay, loamy), being initially taken by the Romanians or the Hungarians, and then by the Sas people. The Sas name of the village is [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
3 x Images
4 x videos
UNESCO

The Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral

Sibiu, judetul Sibiu

AddressMitropoliei, 33

Description

In the city's plan since 1875 are specified the five parcels towards Metropolitan Street and three parcels towaeds Xenopol Street that were merged, and the existing buildings here - demolished (including the modest church of the quarted) in order to build the cathedral.
The result is a large building with a symmetrical composition and a central plan that, with some modifications, (the appearance of the two tall towers on the facade), is trying to resume, at a reduced scale of course, the elevation of a Byzantine basilica.

Expressivity of the building is due to the game of organized volumes around the central area, covered with a dome, supported by other volumes covered by surfaces in quarter of a ball, and the four towers, two small, with octagonal plan attached to the nave and the other two, larger, guarding the main entrance).

The architectural expression is determined by the exterior details - apparent pressed brick (Klinker) posed on the horizontal with two alternated colors and the roofs with copper sheets. The church was founded by the Metropolitan Ioan Metianu and was built between years 1902 - 1906 by the architects Virgil Nagy and losif Kamner from Budapest.

The fresco painting of the cupola (Jesus Pantocrator), the four evangelist from the pendants and the iconostasis are the work of Octavian Smigelschi who collaborated with his good friend, painter Arthur Coulin. Other paintings (made after 1957) belong to loan Kober and to Anastase Demian, who painted the altar and the the lateral hores. The mosaics were made in Munich.

Latest Posts

^ Top