Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Medieval Fortress of Diod

judetul Alba, Transilvania

AddressLoc. Stremt,

Description

In 1442, the last descendant of noble family, Michael Dioghy, donated the land and the construction to Iancu of Hunedoara, prince of Transylvania. Because he thought the old fort no longer met the requirements of the time, Iancu de Hunedoara built, with some of the material coming from the old fort, one of the strongest fortress in Transylvania, which stands out in military architecture of the time, the rectangular form often met in Transylvania.

The medieval fortress of Diod was a citadel from the city of Stremt, Alba County, which was destroyed in 1563. After the sudden death of Iancu de Hunedoara, because of the plague in 1456, during the reign of his son Matei Corvin, the city and the area became royal property, and in 1461 were passed in the administration of Alba Iulia. In 1467 the Hungarian king Matei Corvin donated to the city and the area to the Ruler of Transylvania, Ioan Pongratz and Dindeleag 1462 to 1476.

Since the end of the fifteenth century until the mid-century XVI, the city hosted the families and important figures in the history of Transylvania involved in various political scandals of the time. Since 1500, the city entered in the Balassa family possession, noble family always in conflict with the parties filo-Turkish. Radu de la Afumati has found refuge and rest in the medieval fortress of Diod, returning always with the gun in his hand, helped by John Zapolya, prince of Transylvania (between 1510-1526), against the Turkish.

In 1538, Balassa Emerich nobleman was named together with Stefan Mailat, Ruler of Transylvania by the Hungary King Ioan Zapolya; the two allies were plotting against the king in favor of the Court of Vienna and the Emperor Ferdinand I of Habsburg. As a reprisal Ioan Zapolya besieged and conquered the city.

The great strategic importance and the greatness of the fortress made Queen Isabella, wife of Ioan Zapolya to choose this place as residence. From here, Queen Isabella sent the "Country" a letter urging people to support  Cardinal Martinuzzi in defending Transylvania.

In the turbulent years of the second half of the sixteenth century, after the fights between filo-Austrian Balassa aristocratic parties and filo-Turkish, the city was besieged and destroyed in 1563 by the ruler of the filo-Turkish of  Transylvania, Ioan Sigismund, son of Ioan Zapolya. Thus, the city disappeared from history after a period of glory for over 100 years. The area came into the possession of princes and rulers of Transylvania, until it was owned by the minor Hungarian nobles, since 1700.

Latest Posts

^ Top