Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

« 7-12 / 2120 »

Probota Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina

Located in Probota, in Suceava County, Probota Monastery was built at the order of Prince of Moldova, Petru Rares. The name of this monastery is of Slavic origin and means "brotherhood". The [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
24 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Wooden Church of Ieud Deal

judetul Maramures, Maramures

Built by the local noble family in the early seventeenth century in Ieud, the old church situated on the hill is a century older than the wooden plain church. The Wooden Church from Ieud Deal represen [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
10 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Ghelinta - the frescoes of St. Ladislau's legend

Covasna, judetul Covasna

Built in Roman style, the old building of the Roman Catholic Church in the village of Ghelinta was enlarged in the fifteenth century, but the frescoes made in the early fourteenth century were kept in [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
3 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Saint John the New Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina

Built to face the multitude of believers coming to pray at the relics of Saint John the New (in Rom. Sfantul Ioan cel Nou), Saint John the New Monastery of Suceava is a monastery of monks, which is de [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Saint Nicholas Wooden Church

judetul Maramures, Maramures

Built in 1643, Saint Nicholas Wooden Church from Budesti represents an eloquent example of a typical church from Maramures. Representative in this sense is the structure of the monastery: with high in [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Calnic Fortress

judetul Alba, Transilvania

The name of the settlement is of Slavic origin, 'kal' or 'Kalinik' (= clay, loamy), being initially taken by the Romanians or the Hungarians, and then by the Sas people. The Sas name of the village is [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
3 x Images
4 x videos
UNESCO

The Museum of History of Pharmacy

Sibiu, judetul Sibiu

Phone0269 436868
AddressPiata Mica, 26

Description

Since 1568 inside of this building functioned one of the pharmacies in Sibiu, at Ursul Negru, along with one documentary mentioned in 1494, in a house located in the current place of Brukenthal Palace. Since 1973, the building is hosting the Museum of History of Pharmacy, presents its importance. In the halls of this small but very instructive museum, the visitor can find a number of installations, tools, parts and pharmaceutical preparations used in eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

Over 6600 pieces from 67 sources (pharmacies, pharmaceutical offices, etc..) from 32 localities of the country are kept in the museum's collection. The furniture comes from the former pharmacy La Vulturul Negru and was commissioned in Vienna in 1902. It is known that in Sibiu worked for about a year and a half, just when Samuel von Brukenthal was governor of Transylvania, the German physician Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843), founder of homeopathy. The interest for this method is highlighted in the collections of Sibiu museum, including 2900 parts, kits, bottles and homeopathic preparations in the last room of the permanent exhibition. The building was restored between 1968-1973 by the Directorate of Historical Monuments in Romania.

It is an edifice that has a ground floor loggia with semicircular openings supported on four stone pillars in different forms. The interior space of the loggia is vaulted with a double curve ( "the sail") on arcs. Access to the yard is made from the loggia thorugh a portal arch.

The access gang, unique in the front of the market presents to the courtyard a semi-cylindrically domed section. Such vaults are found until the wall of the second floor, in the cellar that occupies the front of the house, also stretching under the loggia. In the the museum space on the ground floor there is a Baroque stucco ceiling.

Visiting hours
Summer: daily from 9:00 - 17:00; Monday closed
Winter: daily between 09:00 - 16:00; Monday closed

Latest Posts

^ Top