Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Museum of History

Sibiu, judetul Sibiu

Phone0269 218143
AddressMitropoliei, 2

Description

The most important group of Gothic civil architecture in Transylvania, the History Museum is housed in the complex of buildings of Old City Hall (also called Altemberger - Pempfflinger House), composed of eight buildings. Concerning Museum of History, between 1967 - 1988, the building has undergone extensive restoration. In this sense it was first systematically investigated.

Therefore there were determined the stages of construction, the original shape of the tower-house and the identity of one of the artisans who contributed to construction. Although researchers still have controversial opinions, we recall that, according to the opinion of the building restorer, architect Hermann Fabini, buildings created by Thomas Altemberger, mayor of Sibiu (1470-1491) and royal judge, took the place of existing old houses on those parcels. For the initial stage, the dating is assumed for the years 1475 to 1485.

Located in the southwest corner of the assembly, the tower-house is the product of the construction phase due to Thomas Altemberger. As demonstrated by archaeological excavations, the tower-house was built on the too place a wooden house.

It is a square plan building that rises on a height of three storeys.The bowindow, seen from the courtyard, first floor, has a rectangular tripartite Gothic window with crossed rods. The next floor has a similar window, while the top floor has only a bipartite window. According to the solutions offered by the architect restorer H. Fabini, the roof is steep, being rebuilt, as the last floor.
Downstairs there is a vast space divided into four spans, with cross vaults supported on an octagonal central pillar, devices that are repeated on the first floor, where access is done through a door with a frame of crossed sticks. It looks like the room from this floor served as a saloon. The upper part of the door frame has an arch in the bracket, with two coats of arms on both sides. Thomas Altemberger and his wife Afra of Salzburg are the owners.

The existence of the coat of arms of Altemberger is also an emblemt that sends to the construction stage which, as we see, includes the creation of the building  body joined in the north direction. Inside, through a polygonal building joined to the tower, there is a spiral staircase by which you can enter the third and fourth floors, both unvaulted rooms being used in the past as guest rooms (H. Fabini, patrician towers in Sibiu late Middle Ages).

Built also by Thomas Altemberger, the north wing consists of two levels, ground and first floor. The most important was on the ground floor: we refer to the loggia which reveals itself in the moment when, through the vaulted passage, we arrive in the backyard, formed between the building wall and the wall of the third fortification building. Here, one of the cross vaulted chambers presents a loggia floor made of two spans. The two proper arches, made by ogives in broken arch, are supported by consoles. Three of them are composed of human busts dressed in Polish and Hungarian suits (Vatasianu Virgil, History of the feudal art in the Romanian Countries).

A fourth figurative console is the human mask. The two coats of arms appear on the vault starlet. The loggia was made by Andreas Lapicida, a well known craftsman, who worked in the late fifteenth and early years of the XVI century at Cristian, Cirta, Mosna, Atei and of course Sibiu.

Turning to the first courtyard, we discover the existence of massive stone consoles supporting an access gallery to the rooms from the first floor in this body. As we could see at the tower-house, here there are similar plastic details like: Gothic window and door frames, with or without crossed sticks . The small hall with the starry arch is located on the first floor. This is followed by three rooms, of which the last was discovered in February 1982 with a ceiling painted with green rhomboidal reasons. The ceiling has the disposal of the Renaissance boxed ceilings and can be dated approximately, by analogy with similar ceilings of churches in Buia, Codlea or Vulcan, at the late eighteenth century or early next century. The house became the property of Mayor Nicolaus Prol, after the death of Atemberger, occurred in 1491. Then, the house became property of mayor Johannes Lulay, in 1501, mayor who married the widow of the previous owner.

Today a new body is being built, located in the northern corner of the assembly, that through its magnitude exceeds everything that had been built before. It is basically a building made of ground floor and first floor, both levels with a series of rooms. Downstairs, they are arched or cylindrical, or  cross shaped.

Although the body of the building is already located in the XVI century, between 1510 - 1520, it preserves some Gothic elements such as doors or frames of crossed sticks with beveled edges.
The newest one invoice, in this context is the main entrance door frames: extradosul lintelului rectangular box decorated with vines.  Initially, the body of the building had been joined, to the north, by the wall and by default by the tower gate. Acquired by auction by the City Sibiu (in 1545, an amount of 922 guilders and 64 dinars) from the descendants of Marcus Pempfflinger (who bought the house in 1521) to transform it in city hall, new changes were made. There is organized a large boardroom, so the portion that is outside the building had to be supported by a massive pillar, as well as a series of consoles. To this stage belongs the tripartite windows on the first floor, with specific Renaissance frames.

During the XVI - XVII, the whole Old City Hall was amplified with two buildings, located in the south and east, both not essential with their elements of styke. The buildings complex received a rectangular plan and has served as city hall until 1945. In the building there was inaugurated in 1988, the Museum of History, Brukenthal National Museum . The roman antiquities and numismatic collections of Samuel von Brukenthal represent the current history museum. The antiques fund, owning a number of valuable objects (statues, weapons), was based on accidental discoveries, not systematic. In contrast the attention was set on the numismatic collections (ancient Greek coins and Roman, Medieval - Hungarian, Transylvanian, German and other countries) which in the late eighteenth century gathered about 35,000 pieces.

In the twentieth century, by assimilating the collections of weapons of Transylvanian Carpathian Society and the history collections of Astra, the total number of assets in the property of the history section grew considerably. To these there were added many materials from archaeological research in recent years, and from donations and acquisitions.

In this way, the current structure of the archaeological-historical fund consists of about 60,000 coins, 39,000 pieces of museum with archaeological data (where we add 82,000 other pieces from the archaeological excavations), nearly 14,000 objects and decorative art guild and about l .900 weapons. Among the many permanent exhibitions of the Museum of History, we mention: prehistoric and ancient archeology, medieval archeology, seals and stamps, Cari Engber-collector and bibliophile, guilds from Sibiu, numismatic cabinet, weapons and armor, The National and Cultural Movement in Transylvania in the Modern Age and ancient and medieval stone collection

Visiting hours
Summer: daily from 9:00 - 17:00; Monday closed
Winter: daily from 10:00 - 16:00; Monday closed


Latest Posts

^ Top