Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

« 7-12 / 2120 »

Probota Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina

Located in Probota, in Suceava County, Probota Monastery was built at the order of Prince of Moldova, Petru Rares. The name of this monastery is of Slavic origin and means "brotherhood". The [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
24 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Wooden Church of Ieud Deal

judetul Maramures, Maramures

Built by the local noble family in the early seventeenth century in Ieud, the old church situated on the hill is a century older than the wooden plain church. The Wooden Church from Ieud Deal represen [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
10 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Ghelinta - the frescoes of St. Ladislau's legend

Covasna, judetul Covasna

Built in Roman style, the old building of the Roman Catholic Church in the village of Ghelinta was enlarged in the fifteenth century, but the frescoes made in the early fourteenth century were kept in [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
3 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Saint John the New Monastery

judetul Suceava, Bucovina

Built to face the multitude of believers coming to pray at the relics of Saint John the New (in Rom. Sfantul Ioan cel Nou), Saint John the New Monastery of Suceava is a monastery of monks, which is de [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Saint Nicholas Wooden Church

judetul Maramures, Maramures

Built in 1643, Saint Nicholas Wooden Church from Budesti represents an eloquent example of a typical church from Maramures. Representative in this sense is the structure of the monastery: with high in [read more]

Biserica, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Calnic Fortress

judetul Alba, Transilvania

The name of the settlement is of Slavic origin, 'kal' or 'Kalinik' (= clay, loamy), being initially taken by the Romanians or the Hungarians, and then by the Sas people. The Sas name of the village is [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
3 x Images
4 x videos
UNESCO

The Roman-Catholic Cathedral

Alba-Iulia, judetul Alba

AddressMihai Viteazu

Description

The Roman-Catholic Cathedral, the most valuable monument of medieval architecture in Transylvania, the same age with the famous Notre Dame, was built on the site of a church destroyed by the Tartars in 1241.

The present edifice, in late Romanesque style, was built in two phases (1247-1291 and 1320-1356). Iancu de Hunedoara restored it and made it his family necropolis. The building was conceived as a basilica with three naves, gallery with three semicircular altars, tower over the square and two towers on the western side, then having two naves in the gallery area added that harmoniously combine elements of Romance with Gothic .

The most important building from the early Renaissance in Transylvania is undoubtedly the Lazo Chapel, located on the north side of the cathedral. Inside it there is a ribbed late Gothic vault, with the vault key decorated with coat of arms belonging to personalities of Transylvania. Inside the cathedral lies Iancu de Hunedoara's sarcophagus, along with those of his brother Johannes Miles, his older son Ladislau (located in the nave's south side) and those of Queen Isabella and her son John Sigismund (located in the opposite side nave). In the 16th century completions were made: a chapel on the north side (in Italian Renaissance style) and the frescoes inside.

Between 1550 and 1700, the cathedral was taken over by Unitarians and Calvinists, and at the beginning of the 18th century the Catholic rite was reinstated.

Between 1718 and 1737, a vault was built to the western entrance and also a triangular fronton, guarded by four statues of saints and three bas-reliefs. Inside, on the right, lie in order the Huniad sarcophaguses, executed in Gothic style and damaged during the Tartars' attacks. In the northern lateral nave rest the tomb stones of bishops and Transylvanian lay dignitaries from the 14th-15th centuries.

The Roman-Catholic Cathedral has an organ with 2,209 pipes, dating from 1877. On the outside, the cathedral is impressive through its solid and svelte buttresses of the Gothic choir. The main facade is facing North, has a pilaster in every corner and in the middle there is a portal above which an emblem of bishop Ladislau Gereb was mounted. The tower on the south side was built over a period of four centuries.

Although it includes elements from various architectural styles (Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque), the Roman Catholic Cathedral is presented as a representative monument of late Romanesque architecture.

Latest Posts

^ Top