- Romguide.ro published in print and online press!
- Romguide has signed an exclusive partnership with BCR Tennis Partner.
- Romania First in History to Win Three Pomme d’Or Awards
- Elena Udrea signed a financing contract through the Regional Operational Programme in Tulcea
- European strategy in the Danube region - opportunities for regional economies involved
- MDRT supports the development of tourist resorts
Search for places to visit
With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]
Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]
The Wooden Church of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel from Rogoz
judetul Maramures, Maramures (UNESCO)
This dating seems to fit reality, been supported by two arguments: the church was a very old planimetry with polygonal pronaos and the access on the south side; a historical document mention that in 1661, Tatars have followed the prince of Transylvania, Ioan Kemeny, up next to the Lapus area - the possibility that the Tatars have burned down the old wooden church is justifiable, which could explain the construction of this church in 1663.
The country of Lapusului was less affected by the damage caused by the Tatars than the Country of Maramures (in the nave is an inscription referring to this invasion), it seems that the church survived the Tatar invasion of 1717. The Wooden Church of "St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel" is located in the center of town.
For the most part, the Wooden Church has retained its form, substance, its original function and its initial expression. This place of worship has undergone some changes over time: after completion of the painting dated from 1785, in the nineteenth century, the gallery is done, and its painting in 1834, and the nave windows have been increased, in 1960-1961 it was build the foundation, the socket stone masonry and the coverings and floors were changed. All the works were done by using traditional materials and techniques, while retaining the original substance, respecting the authenticity and integrity of the monument.
Fitting into the biggest churches category in the area (Costeni, Stoiceni), the church’s sizes are 14 x 5.5 meters. On the short stone foundation wall rise the massive elm beams completed on the square and reinforced in places with thick wooden parts.
The Wooden Church is structured these way: narthex, nave and chancel; pronaos is polygonal with three short sides to the west and south side access (narthex plan together with the lack of porch, old churches are specific to the XVII century and even earlier), nave is rectangular and separated by the altar, (narrower than the nave) polygonal, with seven sides to the outside.
At the outside level there can be noted decorative elements, particularly valuable. On the south wall of the narthex there can be seen the entry with massive frame treated in a touch of rustic simplicity, except of the braces that are too sharp. At the west of the entrance the guards carved a cross, as high as the wall on witch it is applied.
The Wooden Churches, through their harmonious proportions, the volume equilibrium, and exceptional towers, represent a true masterpiece, a superior technically and artistically achievement. These are organically integrated into a long evolution whose beginnings are lost in time. The World Heritage includes eight wooden churches dating between the mid XIV century and late eighteenth century: Ieud-Deal sec. XIV, Poienile Izei 1604, Bude-Josani 1643, Rogoz 1663 (the Wooden Church of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel), Barsana 1720, Surdesti 1766, Desesti 1770 and Plopis 1792.