Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Tiganesti Monastery Museum Collection

judetul Ilfov, Muntenia

Phone021 2668232
AddressLoc. Ciolpani,
Contact personHeruvima Timaru

Description

Located in the middle of the road linking Bucharest to Ploiesti and 3 km from the village Ciolpani, Tiganesti Monastery is found in a wonderful scenery of forests and waters.

Tiganesti Monastery appears in the document of donation and sale - purchase of the July 1780 of  Matei Tiganescu (whose name it bears) and of his cousin Paraschiva Caplescu who builds a church on this land. Under the name of Tiganesti is attested in the rulers'  donations: Moruzi 1793, Caragea in 1813 and Prince Dimitrie Ghica in 1824.

The legend supported by the fact that the monastery's diptych begins with Michael the Brave and and Ms. Stanca, certifies that the settlement dates back from the early sec. XVII, being built by romanian monks from Mount Athos, when these places were Vlasiei forests.

Tiganesti Monastery was initially a cells place and a wooden church. From this church has been preserved the wooden miracle-working icon of the Virgin Mary with Baby Jesus in her arms. The hermitage Tiganesti inhabited by monks, passes in the care of Caldarusani Monastery, then shortly the monks from here are moved to Caldarusani, in their place settling the nuns from Hermitage.

The wooden church became too small and was demolished and in its place was built in 1812 the present church dedicated to the Assumption, its builder being Radu Golescu.

 Many earthquakes have affected the church and other buildings, which have been repaired and restored, suffered on this occasion some changes.  Outside, the mosaic was restored by painter Gh Raducanu and the iconostasis painted in 1895 by Gheorghe Stoenescu was repaired in 1989 by Gheorghe Samoila.

The monastery is located on a peninsula, the land is not very stable and in the years 1980-1984 the building was restored. The cemetery church dedicated to Holy Trinity was built in 1817 and painted by Anthony Serafin. It is a clittle church, beautifully proportioned, in a three-lobed plan with an open porch, post Brancoveanu architectural style.

The building, built in 1848, was used originally as an orphanage, school and finally museum in 1989. Here are exhibits like sculpture in wood, glass, metal, cloth, books and religious objects, old clothing.

The monastery ensemble also has the bell tower, the monastic houses, thedining hall, the cemetery and the workshops. In this workshop work the convent's nuns and the materials used for the priests' clothing are of silk with gold and silver thread.

In the cemetery are found the ancient funerary monuments, and we should mentioned Diamandescu family monument, the work of the sculptor Karol Stork in 1889. The monastery was fully involved in the events of the time, the independence war and two world wars by helping the army with medical assistance offered by nuns of the Red Cross.

Here in the monastery was founed the first elementary school, from 1818 until 1878. In 1923 opens the "Leather Training School" where it was taught: embroidery art, weaving carpets, national spuns, crafts that are still practiced in the workshop mentioned.

Latest Posts

^ Top