Romana
Contact
Add to Favorites
Community
Travel Info
All about Romania
Home

2120 places

Places to visit

0  results
 
Results list
 

1-6 / 2120 »

Sighisoara Fortress

Sighisoara, judetul Mures

Sighisoara is a medieval fortress with architectural ensembles made in rural Gothic style, but also in Renaissance and Baroque styles, which are the result of a constructive effort appeared later in t [read more]

Cetate, Categoria: Istoric
8 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Barsana Monastery

judetul Maramures, Maramures

The Monastery “Synaxis of the 12 Holy Apostles" from Barsana is a convent, located at 22 km southeast of the Sighetu Marmatiei city, at the exit of Barsana, to the Slatioara bridge, where t [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios | Biserica, Categoria: Religios
21 x Images
6 x videos
UNESCO

Voronet Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Founded by Stefan cel Mare, Voronet Monastery church dedicated to "St. Gheorghe" is a synthesis of Byzantine and Gothic elements, made in an original manner. With a brilliant ingenuity, with [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
18 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA)

Delta Dunarii, judetul Tulcea

With Romania's adhesion to the Ramsar Convention in 1991, Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBRA) was recognized as a wetland of international importance especially as waterfowl habitat. Taking into ac [read more]

Parc, Categoria: Natura
12 x Images
0 x videos
UNESCO

Humor Monastery

Gura Humorului, judetul Suceava

Situated at a distance of 5 to 6 km of Gura Humorului, Humor Monastery is one of the most famous foundations of the Romanian Middle Ages. It was built in 1530 by Toader Bubuiog, member of the divan of [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
7 x Images
2 x videos
UNESCO

Hurezi (Horezu) Monastery

Horezu, judetul Valcea

Among the historical monasteries, which decorates the Romanian ground, Hurezi Monastery is considered, along with its hermitages, the most representative architecture complex, defining the Brancoveanu [read more]

Manastire, Categoria: Religios
9 x Images
1 x videos
UNESCO

Varzaresti monastery

judetul Vrancea, Moldova

Phone0755 574162
0767 181695
AddressLoc. Urechesti,
Emailclaudia@manastireavarzaresti.ro
Contact personMaica Iuvenila

Description

Varzaresti monastery is located on the hill, 2 km away, under the point called Magura, at an altitude of 300 meters, in a meadow surrounded by an oak forest. Sometimes one can see on the horizon the silhouettes of Mountains Dobrogea from Macin, and from the hill, meaning the Magura peak, one can see the plain, then right to Ramnicu - Sarat, and left over Milcov in Moldova, to the banks of Siret.
The Varzaresti monastery has two patrons due to two churches:
  •   The old church (built in 1644) dedicated to "Saint Gheorghe";
  •   The new church (consecrated in 1900) dedicated to the "Assumption".
Varzaresti Monastery was founded during the reign of Matei Basarab, after the peace which stopped the wars between him and prince of Moldavia, Vasile Lupu.
As a sign of reconciliation, each raised a church, Vasile Lupu Stela built Stela church in Targoviste and Matei Basarab Soveja monastery of Vrancea.
In the monastery is no inscription stating its founder, but was recorded over time, in testimonies of the monks living there, that would be built by Radu Varzaru lord.

Old Church (1644)

Old church, which is dedicated "Assumption", was built in 1644 of massive wall with the thickness of 1 meter. It has no dytch and is provided only with a single tower. It was completed with narthex and porch later in the nineteenth century to be more spacious.

New Church (1900)
The second church, dedicated to "Saint Gheorghe", is situated in the right of the old church of Radu Varzaru and is also built of wall, with the support of people from the area. It was consecrated in 1900 and is a kind of chapel and inside was painted in oil. Under the church is a crypt with the remains of the dead.

Bell Tower
In front of the old church was built a tower wrapped in sheet-metal, tower in four edges, built on top of four living rooms, in the second half of the nineteenth century. Varzaresti Monastery had until 1916 best bells in the region. During WWI, the Germans took the bells and used them in making weapons.

Cells. Priory. Refectory

In the same line with the bell, on the right was a house with four rooms, and near, at the end of the line was the guest chamber; on the left of the bell tower was a house with six rooms. In the left of the old church was the second row of houses made up of four bodies of houses with 20 rooms in total. On the right of the church of St. Gheorghe was another row of two bodies with 12 rooms. Fourth, from the altar, that ended the quadrilateral, also contained the abbey and the refectory.

Latest Posts

^ Top